Sunday, January 15, 2012

Vegan pigs in bisquick blankets (Still Baking #15)

We're halfway through the month of January, and here I still am, still baking things! I have a bunch more ideas, some exciting, some not, but we'll see how many we actually get through...

Piggies

Tonight's an old favorite: vegan pigs in blankets. These are one of the first foods Josh ever cooked for me. We used to make them with pre-made biscuits (the kind that come in a tube) and Morningstar Farms sausage links, back before they added eggs to those. (Whyyyyy?) They've evolved over the years though, as our diets and tastes and available products have changed.

This version uses Bisquick for the biscuit part. Almost as lazy as the tube biscuits, but actually somewhat less sketchy ingredientswise. The biscuits are wrapped around Smart Dogs... or Tofu Pups... I don't really remember. Whichever were cheaper at Trader Joe's.

We had a pretty lazy day overall... which is good. I think the Emperor and I are going to have some sort of adventure tomorrow, as from now on he'll only have preschool on Tuesdays & Thursdays. So we may as well adventure while the adventuring is good, know what I mean?

Speaking of "adventures"... oy. He fought his nap for an hour and a half today, at which point we just let him get up. Two hours later, he passed out cold while we were driving home from the grocery store. Like so asleep that he didn't even stir when Josh took him out of the car to put him in his bed. Kind of annoying, but also totally adorable. Proof:

Carseat snooze

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tofu Pups sound realllllllly good to me right now! Screw it if they have gluten in them. I want some! :)

coldandsleepy said...

Hmmm... I wonder what would go into a GF tofu pup? I've made GF sausages out of tofu and rice before which are actually pretty good, but the texture would be all wrong for a "hot dog"...

Seems like I saw GF sausages made out of pureed white beans a couple of times during this year's MoFo... maybe something like that with a lot of liquid smoke in it.