We did eventually get him calmed down via a ride in the car (yay for babies who like cars!) but oy. It was a long night. We went to bed at 9 p.m. and it was STILL a long night.
I was thinking about what I could write about today and for some reason, foods I don't like popped into my head. It's fairly rare for me to meet a vegan food that I don't like. My palate's pretty accepting, and let's face it, I just plain love eating. My husband likes to say that EVERYTHING is my favorite. That's not quite true, but I DO have a lot of favorite everythings. What can I say? I'm easy to please!
Here are some things I genuinely dislike, though:
- uncooked onion! Uncooked onion makes me want to die. I can't handle the texture at all. I recently learned that my dad feels exactly the same way about uncooked onion.
- lima beans! Okay, I haven't had lima beans in a long, long time. But I really used to hate them. It comes down to the texture again... they're so... paste-like.
- sundried tomatoes! I always forget that I don't like sundried tomatoes. They sound like a good idea to me. But they have that odd chewy texture and they're so sweet. Yuck.
- pomegranate-flavored things! I like straight up pomegranate juice. I've never had pomegranate seeds. But pomegranate-flavored things never fail to displease me. They always end up tasting like this liquid amoxicillin that I had to take all the time for ear infections as a kid.
- lambics and other fruit flavored beers! No, just no. Beer != candy, people. If I want candy, I will eat candy. Heaven knows, I will eat candy.
- maple syrup! THERE, I SAID IT. I feel like a traitor to veganism because it seems like all vegan chefs love maple syrup. But I feel like the only good place for maple syrup is on pancakes and even then, only sometimes. I almost always sub agave nectar for maple syrup in recipes.
- peaches! How can I dislike peaches when I love nectarines so much? Peaches are fuzzy. The fuzz freaks me out. It touches my upper lip and then my lip is itchy all day and ugh.
- fresh apricots! Dried apricots are delicious. But I had fresh apricots for the first time lately and discovered that I really don't like them. Bad texture, weird taste.
- peanut butter! Yes, really. Peanuts overall don't do a lot for me. They're definitely my least favorite nuts.
- beets! Fresh beets aren't that bad. Roasted, they're actually okay, if a bit too sweet for me. But every time I see a beet I have flashbacks to my grandmother feeding me those awful awful canned beets as a kid. Yuck yuck yuck.
- canned corn! It just has this SMELL.
- canned any vegetable really. Canned vegetables make me so sad. They were basically the only vegetables I ate until I was a teenager, because that's what my family had. Canned vegetables are salty, mushy, and flavorless, by and large. Yuck.
- white beans! Other than that, I've never met a bean I didn't like. (Okay, lima beans, but I always forget that they're legumes.)
And that's it! That's all the vegan foods I can think of that I don't like. Now you can see why I'm the ideal dinner guest: I will definitely like whatever you're making! (Unless it's some sort of canned corn-lima bean-beet casserole, in which case, I'll see you some other time.)