Monday, October 12, 2009

MoFo Day 8: Lazy Curry Lentils & Quinoa

Hello out there in internet land.  Today's another half-assed post, I'm afraid.  Emperor Babykins decided to take last night (early this morning really) to demonstrate his new found staying awake skill to me.  We were up from 1 a.m. until a little after 6, just hangin' out and occasionally eating.  (Breastmilk for him, leftover sweet potato fries for me.)  Every time I'd put him down or stop moving, he'd cry.  But otherwise, he was a happy little baby bundle.  So, I held him and we moved around.

You would think all this staying awake would have made him REALLY SLEEPY today (you know, like it did to me), but no.  He's had periodic naps, and I did manage to snag an hour long nap for myself, but overall, oy.  So tired!

Then I nearly had a kitchen meltdown.  I've had these squash sitting around waiting to be eaten for... I don't know.  A long time.  Squash keeps, you know?  I thought I'd finally crack them open and eat them.  They looked fine on the outside, and the flesh seemed fine, but the seeds/guts looked really weird.  Oddly dried and desiccated.  No strange smell, but... jeez, I don't want to get some sort of foodborne illness from squash!  So after hemming and hawing and shedding a few squash tears, I decided to chuck them.  Sigh.

After all of this, I really needed an easy, easy, easy dinner.  So I fished in the freezer for some of my frozen lentils and quinoa, and threw together the recipe below.  It's pretty good, though I wish it had some vegetables in it-- at least some tomato or something.  Oh well.

Lazy Curry Lentils & Quinoa
serves 2

1 tbsp olive oil
2c lentils, cooked
1c quinoa, cooked
3-6 tsp curry powder (less if hot curry, more if mild curry)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4c MimicCreme, almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
salt to taste

Heat a skillet over medium.  Add the oil.
Add the lentils and quinoa.  Mix well.  If frozen, cook til thawed, stirring often.  If freshly cooked, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add curry powder, cinnamon, and cardamom.  Mix well.
Add MimiCreme (or whatever), mix well.
Taste.  Add salt as necessary.

Bam.  It's not out of this world, but it certainly is food.  I used MimiCreme because we have an open container of it and I really am not sure what else to use it for at this point.  Except hot chocolate.  Oh man, if I am up in the middle of the night tonight, I am SO having some hot chocolate with MimiCreme.

Over and out.

1 comment:

Zoey said...

That staying awake skill is impressive. It sounds like you are still eating pretty well though!