Friday, October 5, 2012

Bonus MoFo recipe: za'atar foccacia!

This should really be part of my last post, but I'm typing on my phone and blogger's editing interface is causing me trouble.  So for now, I will post the recipe for last night's focaccia right here!

Za'atar focaccia

Za'atar foccacia
Makes a cookie sheet worth of bread

1 1/4c boiling water
2 tsp za'atar
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 packet (4 tsps, I think) active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 to 2.5c bread flour

more olive oil, coarse salt & za'atar for topping

1.  Pour the boiling water onto the za'atar and thyme and allow to sit until lukewarm.
2.  Strain the lukewarm water into a large bowl (if you have a stand mixer, use the bowl for that) and discard the used up herbs.
3.  Mix the agave nectar into the warm water, then sprinkle the yeast on top.  Let sit for a minute or two til bubbly.
4.  Start adding the bread flour by the 1/2c, stirring thoroughly by hand after each addition.  (I use a silicon spatula.)  Try to get all the flour hydrated.  This should happen around 2c.
5.  Now you will knead the dough.  I did as much in a stand mixer with a dough hook for about 5 minutes on medium.  You can also do it by hand.  You want the dough to have the consistency of pizza dough-- stretchy, smooth, not sticky, not dry.  Add the reserved half cup of dough as needed to get to the right place.
6.  Put a towel over the dough bowl and let the dough rise for about an hour, til doubled in size.
7.  Meanwhile, grease a large cookie sheet.
8.  When the dough finishes the first rise, punch it down, then stretch it out into a sheet so it covers the entire cookie sheet.  Use a rolling pin if you can't get it by hand.  Don't worry about little tears, they will self-heal in the second rise.
9.  Brush the top of the bread lightly with olive oil and sprinkle on za'atar and coarse salt to taste.
10.  Cover the cookie sheet with a towel (or two) and let rise for another 45 minutes.  Meanwhile preheat your oven to 350F.
11.  Bake for 25 minutes or til toasty and golden.  Eat!!

2 comments:

Erinwiko said...

Yum! I love the idea of infusing the water with the herbs.

Vegan Fazool said...

I LOVE Za'atar! I have to buy a ton more, I'm all out!

XO
Dawn
Vegan Fazool blog
http://veganfazool.blogspot.com