Friday, October 5, 2012

Vegan MoFo Day 5: Baba ganoush!

So that exam yesterday?  It went about as badly as it could.  I came out of it knowing I did badly but not knowing why.  I really don't know how I could've studied differently to make that go well.  And that is just a dreadful feeling.

SO.  The point being:  I was in a bit of a MOOD today and really needed a pick me up.  So good thing I was already planning on making one of my very favorite dips in the world:  baba ganoush!!

Baba ganoush

Baba ganoush, baba ganoush.  One of the least beautiful, most delicious foods in the world.  I thought about garnishing it with something green but I decided that would only make it look more grey by comparison.  That's just who baba g is!

My baba g recipe is fantastically simple.  It pretty much goes like this:  cut some eggplants in half, slice the insides up a bit, brush with olive oil and broil on low for 45 minutes, turning once.  Let cool in a sieve (to let some of the extra water out), then scoop out the insides and blend with a couple cloves of garlic, about 1 tbsp tahini per pound of eggplant, a tsp of salt and juice of a couple of lemons.  Bam.  DONE.

Today we had the most GIGANTIC eggplants.  Check out this beast:

An eggplant the size of his head

Literally the size of the Emperor's head.  Which, by the way, is almost the same size as mine.  (He has a huge head for a three year old!)  Amazing.  I got them for a song too.  

For dippers, we of course had raw vegetables:  celery, cucumber, carrots, and red bell pepper.  As an extra special treat, I decided to bake bread too.  I made za'atar foccacia and it was, frankly, fantastic.  Here's a picture:

Za'atar focaccia

And our whole spread tonight:

MoFo day 5

(Sorry for the blurriness.  We get home late on Fridays so of course all the natural light was gone by the time dinner hit the table.)

Yummm.  A fine dinner.

Well, I need to go because I'm being paged-- by this baby who still isn't asleep at 8:30 p.m.  So let me wrap this up with a picture of him being cute this morning:

Sweet, sweet oven mitt

Goodnight!  Seeya tomorrow!

2 comments:

Amey said...

Yay! I log baba g! I'm gonna make a big middle eastern spread for my mom's Bday party... Including some baba g of my own! Where's that zaatar focaccia recipe? That sounds rad! Xxoxo

Cara said...

Oh no :( I know how bad failing in a exams feels. Sorry for you. :(

Luckily baba ganoush helped you back on your feet again. I really love that stuff!